Monday

Fine Art Auction Flyer

I'm pretty sure now that this sideline live brief is wrapped up. I say 'pretty sure' because I've been sure a few time only for something else to be needed fixing/doing.

This mini-project has been quite a good one. I initiated the proposal for possible design work off my back and kept myself quite organised when doing it all (I arranged roughly six meetings for feedback and handovers). I set deadlines for my client (for information etc) and worked every possible option that was asked of me and tried to do every thing to the best that I could as a designer (my final design was made into several versions; email jpeg version, high res tiff, high res jpeg for print and PDF). At a few points I did get a little flustered as the client didn't really know too well what was wanted but this was purely because she was representing a mass as one voice. The clarity of what was needed was shakey to begin with so I half expected this and actually enjoyed the challenge of trying to give the client what she wanted and specified. It began as one flyer which then split into two; a formal one for distribution to businesses via email and an informal one for distribution around the AIB. I made both of these and then the email flyer needed to be able to print easily onto A4 (I had previously made it landscape to best fit a monitor, which then got extended to a square as more information was added) so that needed to be re-laid to fit a portrait A4. The informal flyer was later taken over by someone from the Fine Art course as they wanted to re-do it all as a simple picture and minimal text, in which case the client didn't want to bother me with this as I'd already done three designs. I'm still not quite sure if the client wasn't quite being honest about whether my design worked or was received well, but they still took on the formal flyer so all was not lost.

Here's the final version of the informal flyer:



and the final version of the formal flyer:



I enjoyed this live brief even though it wasn't paid as it was a good exercise in mangaing totally, from beginning to end, my own client and communications and most importantly - methodology.

I will aim not to take on many (possibly any) live briefs whilst my Professional Project is underway as I want to focus all my energy into producing the best piece that I can as a monument to my two-year education on Visual Communication.

Saying that, I probably will because it's bloody fun.

No comments: